Depression suicide, characterised by erratic mood swings, loss of interest in hobbies and activities is a very serious emotional disorder that affects many people in the world. Needless to say, it could be fatal if a depressed person is heading towards suicide. Therefore, here are some signs to know if your loved one is considering suicide because of depression.
Warning signs to be aware of
- Mentions of suicide or death
- Wanting to tie up loose ends or give away personal belongings
- Engaging in reckless behaviours such as heavy alcohol and drug use
- Withdrawing from family and friends
- Erratic mood swings
- Inappropriately saying goodbye.
- Verbal behaviour that is ambiguous or indirect, for example, I want to go to sleep and never wake up. I am so depressed, I just cannot go on.
Though the signs and warnings may vary from person to person, it is important that you are able to recognise such warnings and take some steps to help your loved one.
If you believe someone is contemplating suicide
Seek help immediately, however, there are several suicide prevention web sites and hotlines available to help those in need, but in case these are not within your reach, you can try the following:
- Cultivate physical closeness by giving them a simple hug or kisses on the cheeks. Loving pats on the back and compliments go a long way in healing a broken heart or a depressed mind. Remember, sometimes the little things DO count.
- If the person is acutely suicidal, do not leave him or her alone.
- Remember that suicidal behaviour is a cry for help. Thus if someone contemplating suicide turns to you, it is likely that he believes that you are a caring person. Perhaps a little more informed about coping with depression, and perhaps willing to help. This in itself is positive. Therefore, it will be time to empower yourself to be what that suicidal person views you to be. Perhaps a stronger person than you believe that you are.
- Other steps that you could take may include reassuring them that help is available and that with appropriate treatment they can feel better. Try not to patronise them by simply telling them that “everything will be fine, or that they have everything to live for.
- Try to search the house for dangerous items such as guns and knives that could be potentially harmful.
In addition to the factors above
If you are of a spiritual inclination, this will be a good time to pray according to the framework of your faith. Indeed, prayer, when used effectively, can work wonders to aid in curtailing depression suicide. Moreover, in the hopes that your loved one begins to show signs of improvement from the warnings indicating depression suicide.
It would be great to start to include such drug-free approaches for depression treatment such as exercise. Something like yoga, running, walking exercises or perhaps a proper diet for physical health which in turn heals the mind and positive thinking and affirmations.
Naturally, we would all get concerned or frightened if a loved one seemed to be on the brink of suicide resulting from depression. However, as with all of life’s problems, if we can catch it early and nip it in the bud, depression suicide can be prevented. If things have gotten more advanced, then it may be time to seek professional help or as an alternative double up on our efforts to steer the loved one back to a positive outlook on life.